HP LaserJet 5P

The HP LaserJet 5P has taken up a corner of my loft office for the past several years. It’s old and tired but I don’t want to part with it because it’s so good. It was originally designed for individuals or small workgroups and I inherited it when I took over this company. It isn’t something I would have bought, but after owning it for some time, I change my mind on that.

It’s a basic monochrome laser printer that was industry leading in its day, but has obviously fallen a bit behind lately. I’m quite attached to it though as it hasn’t let me down at all since I owned it. It isn’t the largest device in the world, measuring 15.7” x 17.5” x 7.9” and weighing in at 25 lbs.

It prints at something like 6 pages per minute, which isn’t very fast, but is plenty enough for me. I’m not generally in a hurry so I don’t mind waiting. It holds 250 sheets of letter sized paper in the drawer at the front, while it has a 100 page bypass tray just above it. Finished prints are left on top for me to collect when I’m ready.

I print mainly in draft mode, which is the quickest but also not really any different than normal mode with the 5P. The quality is good, even for something this old. I use only text printing so have no real idea how it handles photographs or other images. Text and fonts are sharp, precise and pretty much all I want from my prints. Even the smaller text characters, or when I try to squeeze a lot onto a page, it’s still readable.

Toner cartridges are still available from vendors like Quikshiptoner.com and are around $35 for 4000 pages worth. That’s a couple of months work for me, and a single months duty cycle for the printer. So running costs are actually kept to a minimum, due to this low cost and the fact it’s an all-in-one cartridge meaning I don’t have to renew the drum regularly either.

It’s old, but it’s gold. The HP LaserJet 5P is a solid, dependable printer that won’t be going anywhere until it gives up for good. Knowing Hewlett Packard’s reputation for building solid machines, I doubt that will be anytime soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Reset Epson L1250 Without Reset Button

Epson L3210 Not Printing? Reset Might Help

Best Way to Reset Epson SureColor SC-V1030 at Home